WHEN CAN I VISIT ZIWA RHINO SANCTUARY-UGANDA
Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary is situated just in Nakitoma Village, Nakasongola District, within the Kafu River Basin, along the Kampala-Gulu Highway, about 176 km by road from Kampala. Ziwa Rhino tracking offers other tourism activities such as bird watching, nature walks, and canoe rides. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary has secured places where rhino populations can be taken in case of expansion by breeding, protecting rhinos from human and non-human predators, and eventually re-introducing these rhinos into Uganda’s national parks while allowing tourists to track these majestic animals as the Ziwa project moves forward. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary also protects 40 other mammal and reptilian species, including monkeys, antelopes, crocodiles, hippopotamuses, and an uncountable number of bird species. Besides African rhino tracking on foot, Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary offers bird watching, nature walks, and canoe rides.
Functions and objectives of the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
- To promote and reintroduce rhinoceros in protected areas within Uganda;
- To promote breeding progress in order to ensure the long-term vision of reintroducing rhinoceros’ populations in Uganda.
- To establish programs that protect Rhinos from poachers in conjunction with the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA).
- To conduct educational research about the endangered rhinoceros.
- To gain national support for the protection of the rhino population in Uganda.
- To set a fund-raising campaign that generates money in support of translocation, management, protection, and reintroduced rhino population in protected areas in Uganda.
Bird watching at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary can either be done by guided walks or by boat, which take at least half a day or a full day in length due to the fact that Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary protects more than 350 bird species, which include the giant kingfisher, the white-crested turaco, the rare shoebill, and the speckled-breasted woodpecker.
Besides rhino tracking at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, the nature walks offer travelers an opportunity to experience other unique animals, including bushbuck, oribi, grey duiker, waterbuck, mongoose, reedbuck, hartebeest, vervet monkeys, ground squirrels, black and white Colobus, and reptiles such as huge monitor lizards, butterfly species, and interesting insects. Ziwa Rhino tracking gives you a greater opportunity to view many bird species.